Last night I had the pleasure of co-hosting a chat with three incredible adults who struggle with the challenges of body, brain and sensory issues due to prenatal exposure to alcohol. As questions were asked they graciously answered, then at one point one by one they shut down—looking at each other and laughing. What was so funny I wondered as they muted themselves and I stepped in for the conversation.
After the program, they shared deep insight—
- "You, who live outside of our world often miss out, because you do not hear what we share."
- "We were giving them our best ideas and kept getting shot down."
- "We kept sharing and were not being listened to."
- "We know what we are talking about."
- "Our viewpoints once again were discounted and after numerous times, we just looked at each other and burst into laughter. We all knew the scoop, the story, we had been their so many times when we shared."